About Me

My photo
Miami Beach, FL, United States
I am sister lover mother educator dreamer doer being moving into sunshine stepping out of shoes that no longer fit. I am light love life hope faith.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

your dreams, your life

Imagine having the power to change what you're dreaming right in the middle of it. You can, you know. Did you ever have dreams that you felt you couldn't escape from? You were being chased by demons, vampires, your elementary school lunch lady? How did you deal with it? Did your nemesis catch you? Did someone come and save you or did you just wake up in a sweat? What if you were able to save yourself? As a child, I used to have horrible nightmares about being chased by monsters, and being swallowed up by the floor. I used to feel so powerless. When I'd tell my parents, the response was usually, "It was only a dream. Go back to sleep." For me, it wasn't that simple. As a matter of fact, according to Penney Pierce's Dreams for Dummies, "children who are regularly told this "are inadvertently trained to distrust and deny their creativity, inner voice, and connection with their deeper self". All I knew was that at a certain point, I'd had enough. I wanted to confront those dream bullies and f*** them up: the devil, Dracula, Frankenstein, the lunch lady, all of them!

I started thinking. I've flown in my dreams for as long as I can remember. Sometimes, I run at phenomenal speeds like Jamie Sommers (if you're under 25, don't bother trying to figure out who that is). So, the person I am when I sleep, must be some superheroic badass, right? What if every time I went to sleep I could carry this alter-ego with me? Those sleep demons would be running back to the depths of hell at the mere mention of her name. Dream Grrrl... Yeah, me and Dream Grrrl, kicking butts and taking names. Then, I decided to try a few things. Like relaxing back into the position I was in when I had the offending dream. And recalling exactly where the dream left off before (a) I woke up or (b) things got ugly. I go back to that dream, march right up to my arch rival and have Dream Grrl take them down. And what do you know? With time, practice, dedication and concentration, it worked. Suddenly, those creatures that had tormented me for so long were crumpling at my feet. I could put fear in their hearts for a change. After all, THEY were in MY dreams.

And, if I could do that in my subconscious world, imagine what's possible when I'm awake! After all, I have Dream Grrrl, right? She's with me in everything that I do. So, if I want to get rid of those monsters that plague me when I'm awake, like fear, anxiety, doubt, insecurity and negativity, then I should be able to just bust them up with a two-piece, huh? And in their place, I can manifest abundance, love and all kinds of goodies, the way I can conjure up a dream triple decker love sandwich made up of generous portions of Mos Def, Brad Pitt and the really hot boxing instructor at my gym. It could be that simple.

No comments: